Friday, April 3, 2009

Proposed Variance Change

The city is looking at making a modification in the way in which variances are handled for porch modifications. Right now, if you want to repair, extend or add a porch to your house and it extends past the setback from the street, you have to file an application with the city, send certified letters to your neighbors and appear before the zoning board/planning commission to request a variance.

The reason this came up now is that some porches were damaged during the last ice storms and the repairs are getting delayed because of the length of time and cost if the repairs modify the porch in such a way that it extends beyond the pre-existing setback. From what I saw, the city seems willing to make the changes but the planning commission appears hesitant.

No comments:

Post a Comment