Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Simon & Garfunkel at SIUC

Got an interesting email from Allan Keith re the recently released S&G CD:

Today I bought the  recently-released album CD titled  "Simon and
Garfunkel -- Live 1969."

This album includes songs performed by them at the SIU Arena in
Carbondale on November 8, 1969.

It is noteworthy that this November 1969 tour was their last tour
together for 13 years.

Also noteworthy is the fact that of the six cities on this tour,
Carbondale is the only small town on the list. All the other cities are
either quite large or at least medium-sized.

The others are: New York's Carnegie Hall, the Long Beach Arena, Toledo,
Detroit, and St. Louis.

Of the 17 songs on the Simon and Garfunkel CD, five were recorded in
Carbondale.

They are: "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)," "Mrs.
Robinson" (from the motion picture "The Graduate,") "So Long, Frank
Lloyd Wright," "The Sound of Silence," and "I Am a Rock."

I make brief mention of the Simon and Garfunkel concert in my little
book "SIUC's Days of Dissent: A Memoir of Student Protest." However, I
have to say that, although I was a graduate student at SIUC at the time,
I did not attend the concert. I wish I had done so.

However, we are fortunate that the music lives on in this new CD. I
might also note that the CD includes "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (as
sung in New York) even though their album by that name wasn't released
until January of 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment