Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pawel Sawicki

Got the opportunity to set down with Pawel Sawicki this afternoon for a few minutes and acutally type out his answers to my questions:

Why are you running?

I've lived in Carbondale since I was a little kid and want to give back to the community that made me what I am. Since I'm getting my master's in geographical information systems here, I'd like to use the major here and not take it someplace else. I've heard Chriss Wissman say that students are our greatest export and by getting on the council, I'd like to expand job opportunities so that graduates could stay ehre and not have to go th oteh communities to find work.

What do you bring to the council?
I bring a youthful and hometown voice. I've been here the majority of my life and I've seen Carbondale grow and I'd like to see it continue down that path. With the education I'm getting, I'd bring a green and sustainable voice to the council.

What issues are important to the people you are talking to?

Housing. Bike paths in Carbondale. It's funny, I didn't realize how much supprot there was for them in Carbondale. Safe neighborhoods, too.

Saluki Way was the most important topic to come up before the council int he past term. What are you heaing from people aboutit?

It's one of the more prevalent things that come up in coversation. From what I remember, it's about 50/50, peopleare either really for it or really against it. I saw an article in theDE where they surveyed the students and only about 47% of the students were in favor but it was a pretty small sample, only about 100 students.

Where would you like to see Carbondale 2 years into your term?

Shifitng its focus to revializing the Strip and making it a more pedistrial and bike friendly place for the community, not just a place for studnets late at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment