Monday, March 23, 2009

Kevin Clark

Had the opportunity to sit down for a few minutes with council candidate Kevin clark for a few minutes and quiz him his campaign:

Why are you running?
I’ve developed a lot of relationships in the community and feel I have a sense of what people would like to see happen in Carbondale. With my background in both business and community organizing, I have a good blend of both social service and business understanding. I like being involved in the community and feel I would be very good as a city councilman.
Why vote for you?
I would bring a perspective to city council that may not be there currently. I feel like I represent a good portion of the Carbondale community. I have the perspective of a SIUC student, business owner and resident.
How do you see the relationship between SIUC and Carbondale?
Communication between the two is important. At times, it seems like both are working on the same problem without talking to each other about it.
What are the issues you think are most important?
Housing, economic development and communication. Carbondale needs safe, affordable housing. Housing inspections are critical. Landlords should be encouraged to continually reinvest in their properties. Purchasing by the ci ty should be done locally as much as possible and businesses should be encouraged to participate. Finally, we need to improve communication between residents of the community, SIUC and city government. I will attend Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate and Professional Student Council meetings on a monthly basis to listen to what they have to say. I will concentrate on being approachable, working within the strictures of city government. I want to go to where people are, rather than have them come to me.
Anything else?
Individuals need to come out. This (election) is very important. The city council spends your tax money and you should have a say in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment