Monday, April 30, 2018

10,000 People

Still kind of mind boggling to think that Carbondale has lost 10,000 people since I came to town back in 1990, all due to the decline in enrollment at the university. Granted, I also thought that SIUC was much larger than the community or region could reasonably support but the amount of outreach done by the administration over the previous 40 years had really pulled people to Carbondale. I haven't seen that amount of focus from any of the leaders SIUC has had over the past quarter of a century. Even Glenn Poshard, arguably the leader with the closest ties to SIUC, couldn't turn the university around. SIUC doesn't need restructuring, it needs outreach, both to southern Illinois and to the rest of the region

1 comment:

  1. I can only begin to imagine the monumental traffic nightmares citizens must have endured! I won't even ponder parking. I bet it was akin to Seattle, or Boston, or ... must be so much better now, right?

    ReplyDelete