Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Police Quotas

I have not seen the work standards refereed to in this article but if they do set baseline numbers for how many traffic stops or interviews with suspicious characters per month,  It is important, though, to remember that no-one, aside from the Carbondale Police administration, presumably, the officers, and hopefully the city council, has seen these standards, so anyone other than those stakeholders commenting on them is not speaking from knowledge but supposition.

2 comments:

  1. What a fine line, you need to manage the process and motivate people to perform at a high level. I have seen quotas like this, and like most work incentives, they will work, but not the way you want them to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am concerned about the required number of traffic stops, though a ticket doesn't have to be issued. This explains an incident of a year or so ago, when an office followed me after I turned from S. Poplar onto W. Main. He followed me to the next light, where I turned again and then stopped me half a block after the turn, to give me a warning because I had not signaled when turning from the left turn lane onto Main. He could not give me a good answer as to why he followed me for two and a half blocks after the turn before turning on his lights and pulling me over.

    ReplyDelete