Thursday, March 30, 2023

Bost Reply on Guns

 Emailed Rep. Bost about the recent shootings and legislation in Congress. Here is his response:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding your views on gun control in response to recent shootings. I appreciate hearing from you and learning your views. 

   The heartbreaking attack on Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas has made clear that more can and should be done to prevent senseless acts of violence in communities across America. I was proud to introduce legislation in 2018 making grants available for emergency communication systems, security equipment, emergency training for teachers, and campus resource officers to make classrooms safer.  Since becoming law, the legislation has helped school districts in Southern Illinois secure nearly $3 million dollars in grant funding.

   More recently, I cosponsored a bill to increase funding for school resource officers and mental health guidance counselors. I also support legislation that would allow K-12 schools to better adapt their plans for federal funds for addressing immediate school safety needs. 

   As a father and a grandfather, I want to ensure that our communities have the resources to secure our schools and address the mental health issues that often are the starting point for atrocities like these. I believe we can address these serious challenges without infringing upon the rights of law-abiding American citizens. 

   I do not believe that creating more government regulation and new gun control laws will stop the criminal misuse of firearms. Criminals don’t intend to follow these laws regardless. Please know that I appreciate the deeply held beliefs on both sides of this issue. Regardless of where we stand, we all want what’s best for the safety of our communities and I am committed to doing my part to achieve common sense solutions. 

    Once again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. I also invite you to visit my website at www.bost.house.gov  or follow me on Facebook (Facebook.com/RepBost) and Twitter (@RepBost). "

No comments:

Post a Comment