Friday, January 17, 2014

Mayor

So far, I have heard Don Monty and Jane Adams both express willingness to serve out the remainder of Joel Fritzler's term as mayor.  As I said before, I think Monty would be the best choice to serve out the remainder of the term, due to his detailed knowledge of city regulations and governmental operations.  However, I do fear he would also extend the length of council meetings even longer than they are now.

As far as a replacement for whomever the council chooses as mayor, I hope the council chooses someone not connected with the university to serve.  Currently, the only person on council without a SIUC connection (save  Monty) is Lance Jack.  While the university is the tail that wags the city, we do need some more representation of the business community on council.   I could see Roxanne Conley, owner of Attitude Designs, doing a good job on the council.  She runs a local business and is very active in the community.  However, she has so much on her plate currently that I doubt she would pursue the position actively.

No comments:

Post a Comment